Thursday, December 6, 2007

I found it!! "Good for Christmas' Sake"

My kids really like the song Santa Claus is Coming to Town. They appear to be (like their mother) lyrically challenged to a degree, and instead of singing "...so be good for goodness' sake" they sing "for Christmas' sake"!


I've noticed that J (age 7) is being especially "good" lately (over the past 48 hours, anyway) and I'm wondering if this will last after Christmas, or will just be a seasonal thing. It's nice for now.


Part of why things are going so well, I think, is because I am backing off a good bit. If I don't push him, he has nothing to push back against, and the result is much more peace in our home (and car, public places, etc.). This exercise is so difficult for me, because (I confess) I like to be in control. I have to do a lot of self-talk to convince myself that J's timely completion of his homework can be done if I stop asking him about it and (poor guy) demanding he share his plan for it to be completed. What a nightmare for him!


I've also noticed that he likes having some more responsibilities, like letting the cat in and out (and in and out and in and out), helping me set up for choir rehearsal, taking groceries out of the car, etc. The key is that I have to ask with minimal words in a tone of voice that truly conveys it's optional, but I sure would appreciate his help. As many of you know, using few words is not my forte. But I'm getting better.


By the way, MC seems to be feeling much better today. I got most of my email transition stuff done yesterday. Today is the satellite TV installation segment of bundling our services. One thing at a time...

No comments: