Sunday, October 5, 2008

Can't Sleep

I woke up about 40 minutes ago needing to use the bathroom. Just as I got into the bathroom, J came out of his room - not sure he was awake. I spoke to him and asked him if he wanted to go first. He said yes, and got a drink of water. Then he went back toward his room. I asked again if he wanted to use the bathroom and he said yes. But he put himself back in bed. So I tucked him in and went back to the bathroom. Then I couldn't get back to sleep. I hate lying in bed trying to go back to sleep, so I got up. I know that sitting here in front of the computer is probably not sleep-inducive. However, I thought maybe it would at least be an outlet for some of the thoughts going through my mind.

My friend Danielle, whom I met at Curves, came over for supper tonight. The kids had never met her but were so excited that she was coming. They even sat outside on the front steps watching for her for several minutes before she came. Once she arrived they started showing her magic tricks and asking her questions and I don't know what all. I had biscuit dough on my hands when she came so I called to her from the kitchen. James had to help her make her exit to come say hello to me! She was wonderful with the kids - they immediately loved her. It was the first time she and my family had met. I was very proud to introduce them all. MC insisted that we sing the Church Girls and Operator songs from the Follies. We also sang the "spit in your eye song" ("I Cain't Say No" from Oklahoma!). She loves to sing this song with me. I will sing the first part of a line and let her finish it. It is too cute. Jay even came up to sing Operator with us. Oh my. I know Danielle had no idea what she was in for when she accepted my invitation to dinner.

Oh, and by the way, J's clean laundry is currently in his room. He got it out of the dryer by himself, on his own initiative. I asked him if he'd like my help folding it. He first said yes, but changed his mind when I got there, saying he thought he could do it himself. So I left him alone with it (and with his sister who cheerfully volunteered to help him fold it). I think he got maybe 1/3 of it folded, from the looks of it in the basket. I also know it made it to his room. Since it was James' night to read to J, I don't know if it made it into his drawers yet or not. But he has plenty of clean underwear now.

No comments: