Monday, July 26, 2010

Waiting for Feedback

If you didn't know this about me, I really like feedback.  Two-way communication.  I like to blog to get my thoughts out, but I then spend time checking back to see if anyone has left a comment.  It's the same way with posting on Facebook or sending an email.  I have put something out there and am hoping someone will respond.  It reminds me of pre-answering machine and caller-ID days.  I'd leave a message for someone to call me and then wait.  I couldn't go anywhere - not even to the bathroom because I might miss that call.  Those were the pre-cordless phone days too.  At least now I can get away and go to the bathroom while waiting for feedback.  Or eat a snack or even work on the laundry.  But my unanswered half of a conversation pulls me back in - I've got to check and see if there is a comment, a response, or at minimum if someone "likes" my Facebook status.  It's a catch-22.  If I stay away from electronic communication, I don't have to keep checking back.  The more I stay online the more I have to check.  I guess it's kind of like an addiction.  Perhaps I'm addicted to communication.  My daughter has pointed out to me that talking is my favorite past-time.  I think she's right.  I'd prefer to speak to people in person.  Phone calls are next best.  But everyone is so busy that those options usually aren't available.  So, I guess I'll have to deal with wanting to check in frequently.  And to make the most of the intervals between checks.

By the way, thanks to my sis for interrupting this blogging session with a Facebook chat just now.  That was fun.

No comments: